Thursday, May 28, 2009

Master Cleanse: Day #4

Since starting this thing, i have gotten a lot of questions about why i am doing it. The simple answer is to feel better. About four months ago i just noticed this heavy, lethargic feeling. After talking my symptoms over with friends, who are not doctors, i thought maybe it was a thyroid problem. My thyroid, cholesterol and blood pressure all turned out to be normal and perfect (as good as it gets for my age). So what does one do when one feels off? The doctor says nothing is wrong. Should you chalk it up to age? Hell no. If i start giving up now, how will i feel at 120? Let's face it, the way medical science is going, my generation will probably be pushing 130.

Have you ever just wanted to do something just to see if you could do it? Like a marathon, which sounds like torture, but (i am told) is very rewarding. This is the same sort of thing. Just to see if it can be done. Do i have the hutzbah, the balls, the discipline? Turns out, so far, yes! Yesterday was the hardest day. The hunger pangs were quite loud. My stomach literally growled. i had to take Spence to the grocery store and it seemed really unfair that all i could contribute to the cart was lemons and wood soap. (not eating the wood soap it is for furniture)

i spent a few hours on the beach after my yoga class, just to get my mind off of it. Every cloud in the sky looked like pizza, guacamole, chocolate, you get the idea. Today, however, as i am typing, i'm having a hard time thinking about what it was i was craving yesterday. It is not nearly as bad as it was. i made it through the night! If i made it through the third night, can't i do it again...seven more times? At this point failure is not an option. Our refridgerator is full of $120 worth of syrup and lemons. If we give up now, what the hell am i going to do with all that syrup and all those lemons. John took a photo of the fridge this morning: http://img5.imageshack.us/my.php?image=2yk.jpg&via=tfrog

Feeling good today and hoping that it lasts when i have to go to work with the public at the Ivy Cottage selling jewelry this afternoon. Praying that none of my customers are rude, because i don't estimate having a long fuse. One never knows until one is faced with the situation. It is a damn good thing i practice yoga. Since starting this thing, i have been nervous about attending my regular classes for fear of lightheadedness or worse. Today i am feeling brave and plan to go to a Jivamukti class. Laura, the teacher of the class, was the one who inspired me to try the cleanse. My assumption is that she will understand if i keel over. Wish me luck.

Thanks for the support you have shown me. i feel like i'm not so much on my own, but doing it for ya'll too. Just to see if we can!

1 comment: